Troy, MI 48098 US
Engineering Director is responsible for leading and driving the technical groups at the company;including design engineering, manufacturing engineering, tool design and manufacturing, tool suppliers and program management.
Director is responsible for creating annual strategies to sustain and improve these disciplines using lean techniques and tools. Director must ensure that teams are aligned, have resources and support to do their jobs effectively and projects are on-time and on budget.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Design, implement and monitor all operations and key performance metrics efficiency for the engineering team.
- Directs the activities of the Engineering (design and manufacturing) and Program Management group in the development of products, methods, tooling and equipment requirements using sound, fiscally responsible judgment.
- Develop a strong technical group including succession planning.
- Engages and supports Sales department with customer interactions, RFQ, and launching new programs on-time and on-budget.
- Understand and collaborate on the complete product lifecycle from concept to execution.
- Ensure programs and processes comply with customer requirements and applicable laws and regulations.
- Develop, evaluate, and improve engineering methods and processes ensuring optimization and updating of processing layouts, building layouts, floor plans, and equipment.
- Applies lean techniques, directs and assists employees in the use of these techniques and tools to reduce waste and improve overall productivity.
- Leads automation of processes to improve manufacturing capabilities of the organization (industry 4.0).
- Active member and leader of Problem Solving Teams, Advanced Quality Planning efforts, and other related project teams.
- Manage and supervise departments and staff to company policies, plans, and procedures.
- Establish departmental policy and procedures.
- Works with other top management to set goals and objectives of the division, create plans for timely achievement these goals, and eliminate obstacles impeding their achievement.
- Provide technical support and effective communication to other departments, customers, and plants as necessary.
- Serve as technical manner expert for traditional stamping, fine blanking and secondary processes.
- Develop strategic capital plans for each division to improve cost and grow sales.
- Recruit and develop top engineering talent.
- Public speaking, customer contact, and travel may be necessary. Other management duties as necessary or assigned.
- Degree in Engineering or related technical field.
- 10+ years'experience in Engineering in a related industry.
- Strong technical knowledge on traditional stamping and fine blanking;including tooling design.
- Able to direct projects with cross-functional teams.
- Able to make well-informed decisions under pressure.
- Able to interpret data and metrics.
- Managing budgets and resources.
- Strong team building and organizational skills.
- Critical reasoning skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Able to create and present projects / ideas to all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills to target audiences.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in metals manufacturing or processing industries.
- Knowledge and experience in equipment automation.
- Proven project management experience.
- Previous experience with Lean manufacturing.
- Experience with TS-16949 and ISO 14001 or other equivalent systems.
- Proficient in office and engineering related computer software
- Vision correctable to view and efficiently perform duties.
- Capable of performing physical tasks in, around, and on equipment as necessary to meet the duties and responsibilities noted above.