Head of Manufacturing
Sunnyvale, CA 94089 US
The Head of Manufacturing will be responsible for establishing and managing the assembly and final test of first-of-a-kind Thermal Energy Storage modules, delivering finished and tested systems to installation sites, initially in the United States. Assembly of these ~50, 000 lb shipping container-sized units will initially be conducted in a new 50, 000-square-foot manufacturing facility in Silicon Valley.
Initially reporting to the CEO, this role will establish the assembly procedures and processes, labor requirements, and validation strategies for the first 100-300 units, then transition further volume to a new manufacturing facility or contract manufacturer to repeat the process for the next generation of our product. The Head of Manufacturing building a manufacturing organization of 50-100 assemblers, technicians, manufacturing engineers, and other staff to execute this plan.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Build a capable pilot manufacturing operation to quickly scale to production volumes of 100-200 units per year meeting assembly cost, quality, and safety targets.
- Develop a long-term manufacturing strategy including the insource/outsource decision, location, and levels of vertical integration that may be desirable, if any.
- Collaborate closely with engineering on design for manufacturability and design to cost initiatives, accommodating rapid evolution of the product design through the first 100 units.
- Develop, execute, and communicate cost and cycle time roadmaps for all products
- Manage rapid change while maintaining high levels of team morale, productivity, and flexibility.
- Prior experience managing production output >$50M/yr of lower volume, high-value products
- Diverse experience spanning mechanical assembly, wiring and piping, quality, and test aspects of equipment manufacturing
- Successful transition from bespoke/prototype/R&D builds of industrial products to a self-sufficient production environment
- Successful transition of manufacturing operations to contract manufacturing partners
- Successful production ramps of at least two products from prototype to >$50M annual volume
- Successful previous management of manufacturing operations for >5 years
- Startup experience, including building manufacturing teams from scratch, rapid volume ramps, and facility build-out
Additional Qualifications Desired
- Experience with manufacturing large, shipping-container-sized products designed to operate in harsh industrial environments (high temperature, high power, etc.)
- Experience working closely with hardware design engineering teams in an R&D environment.
- Experience resolving conflicting priorities between shared R&D and production resources.