Senior Mechanical Process Engineer (Industrial facilities Manufacturing)
Richmond, VA 23606 US
Location: Richmond, VA;Ellicott City, MD;Newport News, VA
Work Schedule: Tele-Work, Remote Options
PE Requirements: Yes.
Relocation Assistance: Yes.
Citizenship: US Citizenship (required)
Travel: <15-20% (Periodic travel)
**Work Site & Schedule: This is a full-time position based in either our Richmond (VA), Newport News (VA), or Baltimore (MD) office with the opportunity for a hybrid/remote work schedule within 150 miles on one of the offices.
** The candidate must have experience in industrial manufacturing operations and be able to mentor less experienced engineers
** Must have experience in engineering and design of industrial processes and facilities.
** Registered professional engineer with ability to obtain Virginia and Maryland licenses
- Seeking a Senior Process/Mechanical Engineer in the Energy, Manufacturing, and Bioprocessing business unit with at least 12 years of experience.
- The candidate will lead the design team in the execution of projects for clients in the markets of food & beverage, personal care, chemicals, plastics, life sciences, bioprocessing, defense contracting, heavy manufacturing, construction materials, pulp & paper, automotive, power, and renewable energy.
- The responsibilities include, but not limited to leading projects and managing other engineers and designers to maintain scope, schedule, and budget. The candidate must have a firm understanding of industrial manufacturing operations and be able to mentor less experienced engineers.
- This is a full-time position based in either our Richmond (VA), Newport News (VA), or Baltimore (MD) office with the opportunity for a remote work schedule if you reside within 150 miles of one of the offices .
- Interface with operating personnel at client sites to conduct analyze and solve client problems.
- Develop technical proposal scope of works and design estimates based on client proposal requests.
- Develop project schedules based on project scope deliverables.
- Support Merrick project managers by drafting comprehensive technical approaches for proposals.
- Interpret scopes of work and translate them into executable project plans.
- Communicate clearly with client and project managers on technical solutions and reporting project status.
- Develop PFDs and P&IDs.
- Develop and/or verify mass and energy balances.
- Size and specify typical process equipment such as pumps, tanks, conveyors, heat exchangers, chillers, condensers, mixers, dryers, distillation columns, etc.
- Perform calculations to size and specify process, service, and utility piping systems.
- Perform calculations to size and specify safety relief devices.
- Participate in process hazards analysis.
- Work with designers to develop 3D models, orthos and piping isometric drawings.
- Checking process/mechanical project deliverables and interdiscipline check other project deliverables.
- Contribute to the preparation of construction documents including drawings, specifications, calculations, and equipment datasheets.
- Interface with vendors to attain quotes and provide bid tabulations.
- Review construction submittals and answer RFIs.
- Develop construction verification and commissioning plans.
- Mentor other process/mechanical engineers and designers.
- Plan and delegate project specific tasks to maintain project schedules.
- Assist with weekly resource planning activities for process/mechanical engineers and designers.
- Weekly travel required if remote.
Required Credentials and Skills:
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering from an ABET-accredited school.
- A minimum of 12 years of experience in engineering and design of industrial processes and facilities.
- Registered Professional Engineer with ability to obtain Virginia and Maryland licenses.
- Experience walking down industrial sites and providing high-level assessments of manufacturing processes/utility systems.
- Knowledge and experience in the use of consensus standards such as ASME B31.1, ASME B31.3, ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel codes, API codes, and NFPA codes.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills are necessary to manage and grow the engineering discipline group.
- Client requirements for this position require US Citizenship.
- Working knowledge of engineering design for process safety.
- Experience with AFT Fathom or Arrow.
- Experience with Aspen Plus or Aspen HYSYS.
- Experience with Bluebeam Revu.
- Experience in supervising and mentoring personnel.
- Requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- Be able to work in an environment with open discussions and visitors without getting distracted.
- May be required to lift up to 20 lbs.
- The job requires the ability to visit industrial sites and construction sites for the intent of performing inspections and observations that may be physically demanding. These inspections and observations may be made at heights, in confined spaces, and may require the use of a respirator to perform the inspections.
- Meets expectations for attendance and punctuality.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Additional Information from Client:
- Offers competitive compensation and benefits package which includes health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education, and training through the Learning Institute.
- We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within;our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
- An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/vets.
- We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.