Test Lab Technician
Windsor, CA 95492 US
Responsible for supporting Test Department with the development of Engineered to Order (ETO) products. Duties will include the testing and validation of new products including modifications of standard product(s), new custom design(s) and Client application of standard product(s).
Primary focus on Industrial and Alternative Energy products, which includes solutions in the Photovoltaic, Energy Storage, BOS Cabling Solutions, Power Transmission and Distribution, Modular and Circular Connector and Automated Charging Markets. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Acquisition, interpretation, and presentation of test data into oral and formal written reports and/or graphical charts.
- Preparation, coordination & execution of development & type tests as well as damage analyses not limited to the following areas:
Electrical (high current, high voltage, insulation resistance, partial discharge & high frequency), Mechanical (tension/compression & cyclic), Visual (microscope, camera, endoscope), Environment (climatic, salt spray, IP, impact / drop test, alternating bending load, vibration & harmful gas), Thermal measurements (thermocouples, RTDs, & Thermal imaging)
- Reads and interpret applicable industry standards.
- Assembles and maintains Client fixtures, automation, and test setups.
- Operate and maintain automation and custom test programming for equipment interaction using PLCs and/or LabVIEW.
- Provide feedback to engineering regarding mechanical and electrical design feedback, optimization, and end-user safety.
- Provide explanation of technical processes and concepts to colleagues.
- Follows work instruction to perform lab equipment calibration and routine maintenance.
- Effectively communicate with the technical staff, handle questions promptly and explain decisions concisely.
- Able to travel, as required.
- Complete other projects as assigned.
- Possess understanding of terminology, principles, and theories of applicable task.
- Demonstrate ability to read and understand international standards, test protocols, manuals, blueprints, and drawings.
- Exhibit excellent time management, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Possess strong analytical skills to solve problems and develop new ideas & solutions.
- Effectively communicates and motivates across multiple mediums to work effectively with local and international R&D and field engineering teams.
- Working knowledge of National Electric Code, NFPA70E, Shock & Arc-Flash Hazards.
- Experience in the test field and in general measurement technology, as well as in handling measuring devices and testing machines.
- Experience applying hazardous work controls, safety requirements, & best practices.
- Demonstrated experience working in a successful technical team, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, and willingness to work in a flexible, changing work environment.
- Be able to use critical thinking and problem solving to resolve technical related issues.
- Must have a strong attention to detail and a commitment to continual excellence.
- Proficient with Windows and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project).
- Familiar with International Standards from UL, IEC, VDE, DIN, ASTM, TV and ANSI
- Be a self-starter and work under limited supervision.
- AA degree in Electronics, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering Technology or equivalent work experience in industry or military training desired.
- 2-4 years of experience in an Engineering lab or electro-mechanical background.
- Electrical connector or mechanical design experience preferred
- PLC/LabVIEW, Automation Experience
- IPC/WHMA-A-620C Certified